Re: GNU participation in GSoC 2012

From: Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva
Subject: Re: GNU participation in GSoC 2012
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 20:44:01 -0300

On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 23:48 +0000, Graham Percival wrote:
> I'm not certain what the legal or tax ramifications of this would
> be, nor whether GNU would be happy with this approach.  A quick
> scan of the 2011 GSoC suggests that GCC, GIMP, and GNUcash applied
> separately.  I imagine that GCC and GIMP have their own legal
> entities that could deal with the tax information, but I would be
> surprised if GNUcash had a distinct legal entity.

GCC is large enough to apply as a separate org, same as GNOME. I'm not
sure how big are GIMP and GNUCash, but I suspect they have a compelling
reason to participate separately. I am not sure about the legal
arrangements, the legal body behind them might not be FSF.

The point of GNU applying as an umbrella org is to support small
packages that cannot handle the whole process.

You are free to apply as Lilypond, but you'd better talk to FSF about
being a legal entity before anything. You are always welcome back to the
GNU umbrella if you don't get approved.

--
Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva

http://garoa.net.br