swarm-gis

Re: ARC/INFO8 and COM

From: Robert Bell
Subject: Re: ARC/INFO8 and COM
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 07:20:24 -0700 (PDT)

I think it might be wise to determine what exactly a
Swram user wants from a GIS interface. Most folks I
know don't use 10% of what a GIS is capable of.
Typically, they are interested in making a map,
viewing various layers and perhaps some rudimentary
spatial analysis. Obviously, for these things,
Arc/Info is overkill. Granted there are those who
would exploit the real power of a GIS with swarm
(modeling inside arc/info is painfully slow), but how
many are there really? Personally, I would like to see
Swarm integrate a spatial analysis engine, but I'm not
sure that Arc/Info is the way to go (and certainly not
the info part, which fortunately may be avoided with
version 8). So here are my thoughts:

1. Arc/Info is expensive...very. Concentrating on this
will exclude many small institutions and groups that
can't afford this software. That said, it _is_ the
standard, much like micro$oft is the standard for word
processors (which seems to be more a function of
marketing than functionality).  Eventually, people
will stop paying ridiculous license fees when 90% of
their needs can be met by cheaper/free software. I
would think this would be especially true amongst
swarm modelers.

One other note re: ESRI...they make no secret of their
intention to put the bulk of their efforts into NT.
They will still support unix, but who knows for how
long...they make a lot more money with NT. So we have
to consider the lack of cross platform capabilities if
go this route. (Plus they have never and probably
never will support Linux :-(

2. ArcView, while lacking the power of Arc might be a
viable alternative though it is still expensive. The
format for shape files is becoming a standard and ESRI
has a white paper on the subject.  Most current
mapping and analysis programs will read/write shape
files.

3. GRASS is a free alternative, but not very user
friendly (the price we pay for open source) and also
not very good at mapping (though hard to beat its
raster capabilities). Version 5 has been in beta for
over a year, so that is also something to consider.
OTOH, it is a full blown open source GIS.

4. There are several free programs to map and
visualize spatial data (GRASS, GMT, Openmap, Viz5d,
etc). I am currently writing up a short description of
each of these for a project to model pollution
transport that will not require the user to purchase
expensive software. The more I look, the more I am
finding.

5. If we, the swarm community, wish to pursue the ESRI
interfaces, I will help supply the needed information.
My company is a long time business partner of ESRI.

Cheers,
Bob Bell
address@hidden