swarm-gis

Re: SVG and GIS

From: rs
Subject: Re: SVG and GIS
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 11:53:48 -0500

Here is some interesting work (paper and examples)
re: SVG and mapping.
"The mailing list for cartographers dealing with SVG"
http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/mail_e.html

Here are two companies I know of who have made
a committment to incorporating SVG into their GIS products:
http://www.ionicsoft.com
http://www.galdosinc.com

SVG is better than GML when:
a) you want to store information about the output environment
along with the data (e.g. paper size, resolution, etc.)
b) you want to store information about how to symbolize the
data (coming soon to OpenGIS specs, but not there now)

-Raj

--
Raj Singh, Syncline
address@hidden

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> Does anyone know of other companies using SVG for GIS?  Is use of SVG
> a familiar idea or common practice in the GIS community?

   Swarm-GIS is for discussion of Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
   and their integration or use with Swarm.  For list administration
   needs (esp. [un]subscribing), please send a message to
   <address@hidden> with "help" in the body of the message.