swarm-modeling

Re: ||ism

From: manor
Subject: Re: ||ism
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 18:54:49 -0700

> >Still, the promise of threads inside the language is powerful, as is
> >the paradigm of one thread-per-object. If anyone knows of simulation
> >systems that make use of these features, it'd be interesting to hear.
> >

> I have to double check, but I think the JavaSim simulation environment in
> Java (and his C++ "cousin"):
>
> http://marlish.ncl.ac.uk:8080/JavaSim/
> http://marlish.ncl.ac.uk:8080/C++SIM/
>

> supports this ability.
>    SWARM is agent based not only object based but there are definetely good
> ideas there.
>
> Also check:
>
> http://siesta.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/JACE.html
> http://siesta.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/research.html

Another good one is:

  http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/hase/simjava/simjava-1.0/

It has a short paper in it:

 "Using Java for Discrete Event Simulation" / R. McNab and F.W. Howell (1996)

     (http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/hase/simjava/UKPEWpaper.ps)

With regards to a true SMP version of the JVM apparently this does it:

  http://www.sun.com/solaris/products/javavm/

Having said that, I personally believe that in terms of shear speed,
Swarm is much more likely to get speed-up going the ObjC thread route
than through some sort of Java port (both in terms of port-time and in
terms of run-time). I was simply thinking that with an open implementation
of the ObjC runtime (namely Gnu ObjC) one could include some of what is
good about java into the ObjC language.

Manor.

   body of the message.