swarm-modeling

Re: Formalization of the Artificial Life Systems

From: David Sumpter
Subject: Re: Formalization of the Artificial Life Systems
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 15:59:14 +0100

Hi people,

I've been trying to do some work on this sort of stuff, for simple agents in a
simple environment. My model is specific to my problem whioch is Honey Bee
ThermoRegulation.

BI defined bee agents b \in B, the set of all bee agents, to be pairs
b(t)=(x,y)
defining their co-ordinates at a point in time. In this way the bees have no
memory so are very simple. The bees move in a `thermo-environment' which is a
lattice T_{xy}(t). (Think about the HeatBugs demo). I have defined the movement
of bees as operations on sets of possible points to which they can move
dependent on values in T. Since these rules contain a random element the set B
and lattice T are a stochastic dynamical system.

I've managed to prove a few simple things about one dimensional thermospaces
with simple bees. I'm trying to prove some more interesting things in two
dimensions. It gets a lot harder. It does however help do things like set
parameters sensibly, proving they do not contradict assumptions made in your
model.

I'd love hear from anyone doing similar stuff.....I haven't seen anything like
it. One mathematician here at UMIST said to me "Oh they do stuff like this for
Cellular Automata but generally its a bit namby pamby, you may as well have a
go. One advantage is you don't have to have a real mathematics background to do
this sort of thing." Hmmm.

David.

   body of the message.