swarm-modeling

SWARM and UNIX VERSIONS (was Re: Linux)

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: SWARM and UNIX VERSIONS (was Re: Linux)
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 13:59:37 -0500 ()

I asked the same question, and here is the answer I found.  Linux is a
version of UNIX that you can run on most PCs, and it is used because
it is freeware.  It has very excellent support and upgrade potential
through companies like REDHAT and DEBIAN, which are making major
strides to demystify and clarify linux installation.  For SWARM, you
could also use DEC UNIX or SUN's solaris system. I've not heard any
discussion of it, but I imagine you could use the SCO unix if you wanted
to (but I don't know why you would.)   SWARM is changing, so it is
supporting more platforms. Glen R recently
announced, for example, that SWARM 1.0.2 will run on a DEC Alpha with
the DEC Unix operating system.

I'm posting this to the list because I have my own OS related question.
Has anyone installed SWARM on an alpha workstation under the LINUX OS?
Glen has tested it in the DEC UNIX OS, but since I'm comfortable with
LINUX, I'd like to know if it is worth the trouble to try with an alpha
running linux (such as the new Redhat 4.2 for alpha).  My understanding is
that it ought to work under LINUX if it works with DEC UNIX, right?

What pitfalls might there be?

Paul E. Johnson                 address@hidden
Associate Professor             http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn
Dept. of Political Science      Fax:   (913) 864-5700
University of Kansas            Phone: (913) 864-9086
Lawrence, Kansas 66045

On Tue, 20 May 1997, Mr X.Y.Huang wrote:

> Since I sent out a seeking-for-help message (about implementation
> modelling for travellers' behaviour), I have received several pieces
> of reply. Many thanks! I would send more such message in coming days.
> There is one thing I could not quite understand: why Linux OS is
> used? In Imperial College, we have a version similar to Swarm, called
> APRIL,  which also is run in Linux system. I have browsed some Linux
> historical documents which certainly list many many good features of
> Linux. But can any one point out specifically what are advantages of
> Linux over other OSs such as UNIX?
>
> ---
> Xueyue Huang
> Center For Transport Studies
> Imperial College
> London SW7 2BU
> Tel: (+44) 171 594 6037
> Fax: (+44) 171 594 6102

>    Swarm-Modelling is for discussion of Simulation and Modelling techniques
>    esp. using Swarm.  For list administration needs (esp. [un]subscribing),
>    please send a message to <address@hidden> with "help" in the
>    body of the message.

   body of the message.