swarm-modeling

Re: Presenting Results

From: M. Lang / S. Railsback
Subject: Re: Presenting Results
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 14:58:09 -0700

SCHREIBER,DARREN MATTHEW wrote:

> Here's a basic question... how do we present results?

Good question!

I'll add to it: Who has experience, positive or negative, with pasting
images from their Swarm windows into a journal article? We just changed
our raster so it shows shades of grey instead of colors, to see if it
would look better in print than colors converted to greyscale by the
printer (probably not).

The power of the animation window to transfer information and
understanding (and to entertain and mesmerize) is very hard to give up,
especially after you're run your sim in front of a room full of people
and they all thought it was cool and consequently got excited about your
work.

I'm preparing a paper and considering putting animation movies of the
model runs in the paper up on our web site; create a special page just
for the publication, and give the address in the paper. People could
click to download the GIF animation of the model run used to generate
the results in Fig. 4b, etc. etc. I am curious to see what journal
editors and reviewers think of this idea; it seems useful at least for
the review process.

(The web page might also be a good place for other information that
SHOULD be of critical interest to reviewers and readers but couldn't
possibly go in the article- like the complete model description and
documentation of all the careful testing done to make sure the code
really does what we think.)

Steve
--
address@hidden