swarm-modeling

Re: matlab & simulink

From: Nick Collier
Subject: Re: matlab & simulink
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:45:46 -0600

You can use Mathematica however. During a simulation conference here at
the University of Chicago a few months ago, Richard Gaylord gave a
tutorial on writing agent based simulations in Mathematica. He's got
several books out on writing simulations with Mathematica, only one of
which I've seen:

Simulating Society: A Mathematica Toolkit for Modeling Socioeconomic
Behavior
                     by Richard J. Gaylord, Lou D'Andria, Louis J.
Dandria

Nick

"Kathy and Ray La Belle wrote:

> We are trying to convince our company to develop models of complex
> systems. We suggested learning swarm. The "powers that be" have come
> back and said "how about using matlab"?  Does anyone know if matlab can
> do the kinds of things swarm can do?
>
> Since I don't know how to use matlab I really can't say what its
> capabilities are. Ray's view is even if matlab can be used to do agent
> based modeling, there most likely aren't libraries available. We don't
> know very much about complex systems or how to model them. In the past,
> these pursuits were written off as "too complicated".
>
> I said I would ask around and see if I can find out what systems are
> available to do this type of modeling. We want to model chemical
> interactions. Any opinions or information would be appreciated.
>
>                                      Thanks,
>
>                                      Kathy La Belle
>
>                    ==================================
>     Swarm-Support is for discussion of the technical details of the day
>     to day usage of Swarm.  For list administration needs (esp.
>     [un]subscribing), please send a message to <address@hidden>
>     with "help" in the body of the message.
>
>                   ==================================
>    Swarm-Modelling is for discussion of Simulation and Modelling techniques
>    esp. using Swarm.  For list administration needs (esp. [un]subscribing),
>    please send a message to <address@hidden> with "help" in the
>    body of the message.

Nick Collier
Social Science Research Computing