swarm-modeling

Re: RePast (another agent toolkit) released

From: Miles Parker
Subject: Re: RePast (another agent toolkit) released
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 14:25:50 -0500

Actaully, while I'm at it, I'll agree w/ Nelson in saying that Nick's done a
nice job here. Good use of java idioms while retaining (to my limited
experience anyway) a swarm-like flavor and scope. To offer YALBM (Yet Another
Lame Biological Metaphor), its a sign of a healthy system when there are a lot
of different species floating around.

-Miles

Miles T. Parker
Software Engineer
The Brookings Institution  1775 Mass. Ave. NW  Washington, DC  20036
http://www.brook.edu/es/dynamics/models/ascape
mailto:address@hidden  voice 202.797.6136  fax 202.797.6319

>>> Nick Collier <address@hidden> 01/26/00 02:02PM >>>
We've just released RePast, a Swarm-like simulation toolkit. Details
below.

Social Science Research Computing at the University of Chicago has
released version 1.0 of RePast, an agent based simulation toolkit,
developed under a BSD license. RePast is a software framework for
creating agent based simulations using Java (requires version Java 1.2
or greater). It provides a library of classes for creating, running,
displaying and collecting data from an agent based simulation. In
addition, RePast can take snapshots of running simulations, and create
quicktime movies of simulations. RePast also provides facilities for
batch runs iterating through large parameter spaces. The design of
RePast borrows much from the Swarm toolkit design, especially in the
area of scheduling and would not have been possible without Swarm.

Repast is being released through SourceForge a popular Open Source
development site, and we'll be using SourceForge to manage the
development of RePast. We have our home page at
http://repast.sourceforge.net/ and the project page at
http://sourceforge.net/project/?group_id=1703

In the next few days we'll be migrating the RePast CVS tree over to
SourceForge and both anonymous and non-anonymous CVS access will be
available through the project page.

Performance is comparable to both Swarm (faster than Java Swarm and a
bit slower the ObjC Swarm) and Ascape. One of the demonstration
simulations is a port of Heat Bugs and that can be used for a rough
performance estimate. RePast should become faster in later releases as
more performance tuning gets done. RePast has been run on WindowsNT/9*
and on Solaris 2.7. It will be tested on Linux in the next couple of
days.

For more information and to download the 1.0 release, see the RePast
homepage at http://repast.sourceforge.net RePast comes with javadoc API
documentation, a collection of "how tos" and five demonstration
simulations. In addition there are mailing lists for any interested
parties, see the home page for details.

Nick

--
Nick Collier