swarm-modeling

about "set" variables

From: Sharon Gifford
Subject: about "set" variables
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 13:08:20 -0400

Most Swarm examples that I have studied have something like the following in
Heatbugs:

- setIdealTemperature: (HeatValue)i;
- setOutputHeat: (HeatValue)o;

- setIdealTemperature: (HeatValue)i
{
  idealTemperature = i;
  return self;
}

- setOutputHeat: (HeatValue)o
{
  outputHeat = o;
  return self;
}

I have searched the files of Heatbugs to find the role played by "i" and "o"
but cannot see one.  When "idealTemperature " and "outputHeat" are referred to
later, there is no reference to "i" and "o".  How do the values of "i" and "o"
get determined?  What do they do?

   body of the message.