swarm-modeling

Re: the question from a beginner

From: Darren Schreiber
Subject: Re: the question from a beginner
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 16:52:43 -0700

Since, I have asked far more questions than I have answered on this list, I figured I'd take a shot this one. I have found Swarm to be quite useful for the projects I have been working on: a simulation of the emergence of political parties and a simulation of housing segregation (see details at http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~dschreib). And, now that I have climbed a good way up the learning curve, I was even able to get a simple model running from scratch in a single evening (5 hours programming time) (this one's at http://zia.hss.cmu.edu/econ/homework00/2/cocktail.html).

To get a better idea of what others have used Swarm for, look at the examples on the Swarm.org website (http://www.swarm.org/community-links.html). As to the question of whether Swarm is the "best" tool for you to use, my guidance would simply be that Swarm is a good tool with a pretty active user community. Swarm is harder to learn than coding a model in Mathematica or Star-Logo, but I believe more powerful, flexible, and faster (certainly than Mathematica). On the other hand, I think it is easier to get a sophisticated agent-based model running in Swarm than coding one yourself from scratch in another language.

On a slight tangent, I think one of the greatest strengths of Swarm is that there are a lot of agent-based modeling relevant conventions. Since most folks learned by tinkering with some pre-existing model (e.g. Heatbugs), people tend to follow pretty similar patterns in writing their own models. As a result, I can frequently find how I screwed up by grabbing a few example models and comparing them to my own. This is certainly a major advantage over the ad-hoc way that most programmers writing agent-based models do things. And, it has the potential scientific benefits from cumulation of knowledge. Thank God I didn't have to write my own random number generators and I could look at others' code for ideas on a variety of other decisions I faced.

        Darren

P.S. I took the liberty of moving the discussion to the swarm-modelling list, since it seemed more appropriate here.