swarm-modeling

Re: Announcing Ecolab4 project (fwd)

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Announcing Ecolab4 project (fwd)
Date: 26 Sep 2000 07:58:49 -0700

RS> What I have wished for for a number of years now was a simple way
RS> to integrate C++ models into the Swarm framework

The next release of Swarm will add support for JavaScript
(in-the-browser), and C++.  This will done be via COM, specifically
Mozilla's free implementation known as XPCOM.

There are a number of goals behind this work, but the overriding goal
is to create a platform for development of a graphical, web-aware,
agent modeling application for non-programmers.  This is to say that
JavaScript and C++ (not to mention a bundle of exceedingly-cool
Mozilla innovations) are a means to implementing this application,
not necessarily things we will advocate for modelers.

Mozilla is the open-source project underlying Netscape 6.  Mozilla 1.0
is expected for release second quarter of next year.  (Daily Mozilla
binaries are available and work now, however.)

Current snapshots of Swarm are always available at

   ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/src/testing

Contact me if you would like details and getting all this up and running
with Mozilla.

   body of the message.