swarm-modeling

Re: [Swarm-Modelling] short reading list for IBMs/ABMs in ecology?

From: Lora Harris
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] short reading list for IBMs/ABMs in ecology?
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 09:43:32 -0500

Alex,

That's pretty much the intro chapter of my dissertation!  Unfortunately I'm
far from the end of that tunnel or I'd pass it on.  Some suggestions for
papers:

Grimm, V. 1999.  Ten years of individual-based modelling in ecology: what
have we learned and what could we learn in the future?  Ecological
Modelling 115:129-148
        *Great section in here on "Why individual-based modelling?"

Lomnicki, A. 1999. Individual-based models and the individual-based
approach to population ecology. Ecological Modelling 115: 191-198
        *Focused on population ecology

And then a great monograph (in my opinion) for ecological modellers before
comps:
Rigler, F. H. and R. H. Peters 1995. Science and Limnology.  Excellence in
Ecology series, volume 6. Ecology Institute, Oldendorf/Luhe, Germany.
        *I know you don't have time to really get into this but it's worth
a skim-over

And as an afterthought:
Levin, S.A., B. Grenfell, A. Hastings, A.S. Perelson. Mathematical and
computational challenges in population biology and ecosystems science.
Science. 275: 334-343

I'm in relative isolation here at the Graduate School of Oceanography so
just imagine my committee!
Good luck!

Lora

Lora Harris