swarm-modeling

[Swarm-Modelling] (fwd) Re: [Swarm-Support] Axelrod models

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: [Swarm-Modelling] (fwd) Re: [Swarm-Support] Axelrod models
Date: 26 Oct 2003 23:32:30 -0800

Forwarding to swarm-modelling, original poster sent it there, and may
not otherwise have seen reply.

A.

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Axelrod models Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 16:30:41 -0600 User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030703
There are many different Swarm versions of the culture model I know of.
I am not sure which one you refer to below, but I do know that Lars Erik
Cederman (who was at UCLA) did one for his class that was nice. Even
before that,  Rick Riolo (at U Mich) did a very nice, bigger one.  Lars
Erik's model had the appeal of clarity in design, while Rick's had some
nicer presentation features.

 In about 1998 I started working on many variants of that model and
built a quite large Swarm model on opinion networks.  An intermediate
version that probably has the most resemblance to the original Axelrod
model is this one:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/MySwarmCode/AxelrodCultureModelPlus/cultureWrappedListBatchRaster-990823.tar.gz

That's the one that is described in this paper:
http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/ResearchPapers/APSA99/
As you will see from that paper, I was still quite seriously
trauamatized by the idea that I might need to write a whole new
container class.  But I got over it.

That model got retooled quite a bit to build in just about every bell
and whistle I could find, including a command line argument processor,
full serialization, and also 3 different decentralized scheduling
approaches.  That's the one that is discussed in a book that Bob
Huckfeldt, John Sprague, and I have written and is being processed at
Cambridge University Press.  Last time I heard, it had a title
"Durability of Disagreement" but there was talk of change.   I am not
allowed to give out copies of that now, but I see I still have one
convention paper about it here:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/ResearchPapers/MidWest02/mw02.pdf

I have the source code for a late version of that code here, and if you
look in here :

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/MySwarmCode/OpinionFormation

Look in Opinion-Docs and you should see some docs in HTML format.  In
the code for the Opinion model, there is some markup and I recently
converted it so it could be post processed by a program called
autogsdoc, which is part of the GNUstep base. Its not the best
documentation in the world, but is the best that was within my ability.

In the comments about the ModelSwarm class, there is this one thing I
want to point out to you: The parameter "ModelType" controls how agents
are put together for interaction and what they do in response to
interaction.  The Axelrod approach is ModelType 0.

(id) *createCitizens*;

This method does the heavy lifting of creating the agents that are put
into the citizenList. The ModelType variable (see the Parameters object)
determines which sort of agents are created. These are the types:

    * ModelType 0: Axelrod (for both select and adjust)
    * ModelType 1: HJ type citizens (for both select and adjust)
    * ModelType 2: Axelrod select, HJ adjust, persuasionModel=0
    * ModelType 3: Coleman type agents (Coleman select, Axelrod adjust)
    * ModelType 4: Coleman type agents (Coleman select, Axelrod adjust).
      Same asModelType 3 in current implementation.
    * ModelType 5: MikePM2 type agents
    * ModelType 6: Axelrod Select, MikePM2 adjust
    * ModelType 7: HJ Select, Axelrod adjust
    * ModelType 8: Axelrod select, HJ adjust, persuasionModel=1

Good luck!

pj