swarm-modeling

Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Agent based and individual based modeling

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Agent based and individual based modeling
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 16:04:50 -0800

Doug Donalson wrote:
However, individual based has a double meaning in Ecology.  It is also used
to describe equation based, complex physiological models.  I believe
therefore that ecological modelers should start using "agent based" to
describe ecological where species are represented as autonomous individuals.
At leastsome other modelers are in agreement with me on this (somewhat
minor) point.

And the guru of IBMs Dr. Grimm recommends that these differential-equation-based ecological models that *consider* individuals without representing them explicitly be called "individual-oriented" models.

Uchmanski, J., and V. Grimm. 1996. Individual-based modelling in ecology: what makes the difference? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 11:437-441.

Steve

--
Lang, Railsback & Associates
250 California Ave.