swarm-modeling

Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Objective C editor

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Objective C editor
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 00:29:45 -0600

1. Emacs is the editor worth learning. Or Xemacs, whichever you think is easier to install. I resisted it for years because it has some weird stuff. It is worth installing because it exists for all platforms and it is more-or-less a permanent feature of free software development and some handy things in swarm apps need emacs. If you get/install the cua lisp package, Emacs gets many orders more acceptable because it makes emacs accept the window style shortcuts, Control-X to cut, etc. Maybe the Windows Emacs has those built in. I'm pretty sure Xemacs does not.

2. You won't be able to build Swarm yourself unless you are an expert. You need to get a pre-built package and install it. I keep telling everybody I don't do windows, but I know some people who do, and they say read the SwarmFaq, find out how to install a pretest version of Swarm -2.2 and then use that. Basically, you get Cygwin, then get the swarm pretest, then hack your windows environment. THe SwarmFaq has some info, and in the SwarmFaq/memos directory, there is a long, verbose set of instructions that I cobbled together from several posters.

see http://www.ku.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq

The gcc in the Cygwin package is now adequate. Their support is less and less inadequate, as far as I can tell. I even ran their X server a month ago and it was fine.

ABHISAR VERMA wrote:

Hi
I am a new user of the swarm and just wanted to know the answers of few
basic questions.
1. which compiler should i use for objective C if I am using windows 2000
, and if it is gcc then which is the latest version needs to be used.
2.where should I find the required swarm libraries i.e. location of the
all lib files.
thanks
Abhi