swarm-modeling

Re: [Swarm-Modelling] ABM in Nature

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] ABM in Nature
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 17:02:09 -0800

address@hidden wrote:
Steve,

I looked at the paper briefly and couldn't tell whether it was a PDE
or some sort of ABM/IBM; I could not tell if there was any
parallelism involved with the implementation of the equations.  Could
you, or someone else on the list enlighten me?  Thanks

Some of the authors on that paper have actually tried to model fish schooling with analytical equations (Flierl, G., D. Grünbaum, S. Levin, and D. Olson. 1999. From individuals to aggregations: The interplay between behavior and physics. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 196,
397–454.)

But in the paper they discuss what individuals know and do, so I infer it is an individual-based model. If not, they could not have resisted showing the math. (There is nothing on the 'supplemental information' site that provides any more information on the model.)

Steve

--
Lang Railsback & Assoc.
250 California Ave.