Re: Compiling swarm-960110 (fwd)

From: Ginger Booth
Subject: Re: Compiling swarm-960110 (fwd)
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 96 13:40:38 EST

Forwarded message:

Date: Fri, 19 Jan 96 13:31:31 EST
To: address@hidden (Nelson Minar) (Nelson Minar)
Subject: Re: Compiling swarm-960110
Cc: address@hidden

Nelson,

> Take a look at the new space library, tell me what you think. There's
> at least an obvious place for your version of space, I hope.

OK, it's a deal.  I will look.  In the meantime, how 'bout some advice?

I'm pondering the latest Probes.  The auto-generated windows are quite
nifty and nice.  They don't do what I need, unfortunately.
And it's not clear to me that Today Is The Day To Deal With This, or I
should continue waiting while y'all continue with ExperimentControl.
What I need is:

    a.) A stage-setting part of the run--let's fiddle with parameters.
    b.) Get rid of all those windows when setting them no longer does
        anything.  If editing the world size won't do anything, I
        don't want the menu lying around.
    c.) The defining items in my primordial ("grandma") agents sprawl
        across several class levels.  For example, a carnivore is a
        subclass of "Critter", whose most critical info is a pointer to
        its Metabolism.  When setting grandma carnivore, you want to
        set what she eats/gets taxed (defining vars of her Metabolism),
        and suppress most working settings of Critter and Carnie.

In other words, from reading once-over-lightly, it looks like it's going
to require a fair bit of coding, with no worked examples in the apps yet,
so if it's not The Day Yet, please let me know?

Cheers,
    Ginger

--
            Ginger Booth, Center for Computational Ecology
                Yale Institute for Biospheric Studies