grovelling

From: Ginger Booth
Subject: grovelling
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 96 10:12:28 EST

Manor,

    Just an addendum to what Terry said....

    'Tis true.  The software is/was/will be buggy, as will every other area
of human endeavor.  If you can't make mistakes, you can't make nuthin'.

    That said, and knowing in your heart that you've done your (human) best,
there's a lot to be said for grovelling, apologizing quickly and profusely,
and claiming sole ownership of all fault and blame.  Ham it up.  Keep a plastic
sword handy for ritual suicide.  Offer to make it up to people in irrelevant
personal ways like walking their dogs.

    Then just fix what can be fixed.

    I won't bore you with my theory of why this works.  But it does.  The
other popular alternatives (blaming -him-, getting defensive, blaming -you-,
quoting authorities, etc. ad nauseum) don't work.

    In other words, I applaud your grovelling.  Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
    Ginger
    she-who-refuses-to-take-computer-tragedy-seriously