swarm port

From: Robbie Gates
Subject: swarm port
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 11:37:01 +1000

Hi there.
  after a request by a friend, i'm trying to compile swarm on a
DEC alpha OSF system.  Is there anyone else working on such a port,
and do you know its status ?
  my current problem occours in MessageProbeWidget.m,
around line 100 :

  objWindows = (int *) malloc(sizeof(int)*argNum) ;
  argNum *= 2 ;
  myWidgets = (Widget **) malloc(sizeof(Widget *)*argNum) ;

  myWidgets[0] = [Button createParent: self] ;

my confusion is over what happens if argNum == 0 ... in this
case the myWidgets[0] is a bad dereference.  later in that section
of code argNum is actually tested to be 0 or not ... so i suspect
it is supposed to work in this case.

have i badly misinterpreted what is going on here ?
(definitely the heatbugs example crashes and points to this
derefence as the source of its seg fault).

 thanks in advance for any help,
 - robbie
      robbie gates      |
  apprentice algebraist |    http://cat.maths.usyd.edu.au/~robbie