`make'ing libtclobj under Linux

From: Thor Sigvaldason
Subject: `make'ing libtclobj under Linux
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 1996 03:00:04 -0500

Hello All,

        I'm trying to get swarm up and running on a Linux box, and am having
problems with the libtclobj package that the documentation says I need
to get swarm running. I downloaded the source for this directly from the
SFI site, and followed all directions carefully. I set my XLIB, and
READLINE environment variables and then tried to execute the ./configure
script that is supposed to build the makefiles. Each time I do this, I
get:

        creating cache ./config.cache
        checking for gcc... gcc
        checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
        checking for ranlib... ranlib
        checking for prefix by ... checking for tclsh... /usr/bin/tclsh
        checking for NeXT compiler
        checking for -lobjc... no
        checking for objc_next_class... no
        You must apply the patch ./gcc.patch to the gcc source dir
        then recompile and install libobjc.a,
        then rerun this configure script.

        I have two problems with this. First, I am using gcc 2.7.2, which the
documentation says is more than recent enough (too recent?). Second, the
suggested ./gcc.patch file is not included in the distribution (and I
don't hvae the source for gcc on my machine in any case). If anyone out
there has a solution or has already built the library (and wants to send
me a binary copy) it would be much appreciated.

        BTW, I am running an ELF system with kernel version 1.2.13 from a
Redhat distribution. I have built my own kernel on several ocations, so
I know all the standard source code is lying around in more or less the
right place.

        Thanks in advance.

- Thor
address@hidden