Installing Swarm on Linux, a desperate plea for help

From: Beemer
Subject: Installing Swarm on Linux, a desperate plea for help
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 16:24:56 -0600

Okay, maybe someone can help me.  I'm installing swarm on a
Linux machine, Slackware distribution.

I have built, checked, and installed gcc 2.7.2,
        (including finding a binary for libg++)
I have built, checked, and installed BLT
I have built, checked, and installed gdb 4.16
        (including building, checking, and installing dejagnu)

I have built libtcobjc.  I can't check it, because I get the error:

# make check
./checkTcl < check.tcl
make: *** [doCheckTcl] Error 136
#

The Makefile says: "Without readline, rediirecting into Tk's
promptAndEval isn't working, I haven't looked into why."

Similary, swarm itself will compile all happy-dandily, but I can't get
any of the swarmapps to compile; they get to the linking stage and
make pages of complaints about being unable to link to readline
stuff.  (This is after I have edited Makefile.conf to include
-lreadline.  It was just choking before; now it can't find the
readline things it wants.)

This seems to indicate that readline stuff is Not Okay.

Now, readline certainly seems to be a part of gdb.  (gdb won't compile
without it, anyway.)  I can't 'make gdb' until I edit
gdb-4.16/readline/rldefs.h to #include <termios.h> just before it
#includes <termcap.h>.  Once I do that, everything compiles just fine.
I can 'make install' in ./readline.  I can 'make install' gdb.  I can
'make check' in gdb-4.16/gdb (where the README says to try this), and
it says:

# make check
#

All of THIS seems to indicate that readline is Just Fine, Thank You
Very Much.

Combined, these two statements indicate that I Am Going Utterly Mad
Quite Rapidly.

Does this make any sense to anyone out there?  Can you tell me what is
wrong and how to fix it, or even what might wrong that I should look
at?  I am at the end of my rope...

Thanks very much.

        --Seth McGinnis

          address@hidden