Re: swarm.x

From: Mr M.H. Butler
Subject: Re: swarm.x
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 15:00:41 +0100

Kevin Allen writes:

> I decided to take some good advice and try the binary version.
>
> However there seems to be no swarm.x.
>
> I have HPUX 10.01.
> I grabbed swarm-1.0.2.tar.gz, gunzipped and untarred it.
> I changed Makefile.conf and ran gmake.
>
> It seemed to compile fine but there is no swarm.x.

swarm.x should be in $SWARMHOME/lib. If you've tried to do something
like a "make realclean" it will disappear.  Try grabbing and untarring
it again .. and don't type make clean. Now here is how I did it - plus
some explanation. Firstly a cavaet: Swarm resides in the account of a
user called swarm (slightly confusing). My setup in the Makefile.conf
for a HP is

SETUP=NONE
SYS=hpux
OTHERINCDIRS=-I/usr/local/X11R5/include
SYSDEPLIBS=-L/usr/lib -L/lib -L/usr/local/X11R5/lib
LDCONFIG=bin

Some comments:
/usr/local/X11R5/include is needed for X11 header files
/usr/lib is needed as some X11 stuff .e.g fonts is in /usr/lib/X11 (I
        think - not sure about this one)
/lib is needed for libm (maths library)
/usr/local/X11R5/lib is needed for X11 library files
and in my .profile I set

SWARMHOME=/users/project/swarm/swarm
TCL_LIBRARY=$SWARMHOME/lib
TK_LIBRARY=$SWARMHOME/lib
BLT_LIBRARY=$SWARMHOME/lib
export TCL_LIBRARY TK_LIBRARY BLT_LIBRARY SWARMHOME

comments:
copy this just change SWARMHOME to where you've installed swarm

Now all you have to do is "source .profile" (or log in again),  compile
Swarm itself, then change to one of the sample apps and remove the line
in the Makefile that sets SWARMHOME. Compile the app and everything
should be okay.

Hope this helps

Mark H. Butler
address@hidden