Re: suggestion/request for random sampling from a List (Collection)

From: Sven Thommesen
Subject: Re: suggestion/request for random sampling from a List (Collection)
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 10:41:56 -0500

At 10:07 AM 9/2/1997 -0400, you wrote:

>I very often find myself writing codes to pick an
>agent out of a list (and sometimes other collections)
>at random (ie a uniform random sample with replacement).
>It would be nice if List (and perhaps other collections) had
>a method
>  myA = [myList getRandom];
>To support this, one would be required to tell the list
>what generator to use, so that it would be under the user's control
>(in particular, so seed/sequence would be replicable).

But perhaps the default should be that every list object is connected to
the UniformUnsigned object supplied in simtools on creation; that way even
the casual swarmer would have a List that works out-of-the-box.

Though there has been some discussion whether we ought to supply those
random objects in simtools at all ... Anyone have comments on that ?

-Sven Thommesen