Re: UNIX tips for SWARM FAQ. Please Contribute, prove your team spirit!

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: UNIX tips for SWARM FAQ. Please Contribute, prove your team spirit!
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 16:27:42 -0600

I guess I'll chime in as well, since I'm no longer on vacation. [grin]

The following 3 commands deserve mention.  I wouldn't bother putting
detailed instructions or examples because the user can always use
the man pages.  But, they should be mentioned.

patch  :  tool for applying patch files, which are difference files
          created by the diff command

ldd/ldconfig  :  shared library info/management tools (which .so files
                 are my executables dependent on?)

And,
Benedikt Stefansson writes:
 > c) Use RCS

Excellent suggestion!  But, I'm going to add that *we*, being the
Swarm project, use CVS, which is an extension to RCS that allows
*concurrent* development by the same user or different users and
does a decent job of merging branches and such.  So, I would advise
CVS; but, especially for a single developer, it only matters that
one use *some* revisioning system tool.

glen
--
{glen e. p. ropella <address@hidden> |  Send lawyers, guns, and money!  }
{Hive Drone, SFI Swarm Project         |            Hail Eris!            }