Re: .xpm ants and batchmode

From: Benedikt Stefansson
Subject: Re: .xpm ants and batchmode
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 19:29:42 -0700

Hi Sven,

You wrote:
<snip>

> Well, whatever it is that we 'know', Heatbugs-with-pixmaps will not run in
> batchmode under 1.0.3. Try it yourself! The error message is:
>
>         error: Tcl (instance)
>         Tcl does not recognize mainWindow
>         IOT trap/Abort (core dumped)

So I did try it. The problem with Heatbugs + pixmaps has nothing to do with
Swarm 1.0.3. The problem is that in the createObjects procedure in ModelSwarm,
which is also executed in batchmode, the ModelSwarm creates an XPixmap object to
hold the pixmap array. This object in turn expects the Tk interpreter and X
server to be running - but since there is no X server initialized in batchmode
the program crashes.

The solution is simply to create the Xpixmap object in ObserverSwarm instead of
ModelSwarm, then batchmode should work for the pixmaps version. My earlier
comments about the shortcomings of BatchRaster hold of course.

Regards,
-Benedikt

--
Benedikt Stefansson                 address@hidden