java vs. tcl/tk???

From: Irene Anne Lee
Subject: java vs. tcl/tk???
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 23:05:31 -0700

address@hidden writes:
 > Hi,
 > Its exciting to see that 1.0.4 is just around the corner.
 >
 > But, this brings up a question...I have seen (at my local computer book
 > source), a book on Tcl/tk for only 4 bucks.  Would it be a waste of
 > money to get this, since java is going to replace tcl/tk?  Or would it
 > still make sense to spend 4 bucks for a good reference book...?

Sounds like a bargain for $4.00 though it may be woefully out of date.
The current version of Tcl is 8.0

 > Is 1.0.4 going to be the NT version?  If not, when is it going to be
 > released?

No, 1.0.4 is NOT the NT version, it simply contains various changes and fixes.
        Ken's additions to InFile and XColorMap,
        Manor's mods to NodeItem.m,
        Sven's AppendFile and reverse QSort.
        Dwight's safe probes
        Probe and control panel positioning
        Print format in probes
        Changes to seeds in random.m
        Raster int in Tkobj.c
        Raster unset color in Tkobj.c

1.1 will be the NT version. It is expected before the end of year.

--Irene