Presenting Results (was Re: Sub-swarms)

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Presenting Results (was Re: Sub-swarms)
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 21:25:49 -0600 (CST)

This touches on an issue that I'm concerned about. How do you
present simulation results to a general scientific audience?  The
notion that Swarm is a standardizing simulation toolkit was very
appealing to me last  year when I started, but I wish I had more ideas about
how these things can be presented (other than "look at all these cool colored
bugs and the pulsating background...).  In the past, the most useful
thing for me has been to show a series of scatterplots of important endogenous
variables, one for each setting of the parameters.  But that gets out of hand
pretty quickly--too many charts, not enough time.

The other thing I've wondered about is the statistical analysis of results.
I'm often interested in showing that two settings of simulation parameters do
or do not cause a significant change in system behavior. Comparing the two
distributions, one can take advantage of some facts.
In particular, I've considered the analogy to a "matched pairs" analysis.  If
you think of simulation runs under identical circumstances as one distribution,
and you change one parameter and repeat the runs with everything else
identical, including the random number seeds, it
is like having "matched pairs" to compare.  The standard error of the difference
of means is much much smaller with matched pairs and test become much more
powerful.  I wonder how many other little tips like that there are left to be
articulate....
pj

E-Mail: Paul Johnson <address@hidden>
Date: 26-Feb-98