Re: Swarm 2.0 ???!! (again)

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Swarm 2.0 ???!! (again)
Date: 29 Jun 1999 16:28:28 -0700

NG> I just want to know if the swarm team needs beta testers for
NG> the Java version of Swarm ???

Sorry, I didn't answer because I don't really have a general answer.

First off, we don't especially need help with portability testing.
Thanks to the *tremendously* helpful support of Paul Johnson, Tim
Kohler, Rick Riolo, and Jayshree Sarma, many very hairy portability
problems have been sorted out.¹ It would have been difficult or
impossible to find answers to some of these expected and unexpected
problems without the hands-on system access they so generously
provided.

If there are curious people that don't require demo apps, can get by
with just refbook Javadoc style documentation, and have a good feel
for what is a bug and what isn't, send me private e-mail -- I'll point
you to the source code.  I think the current source tree would *not*
be interesting to modelers.

Anyway, I'm afraid I don't really have time right now to explain why
things are the way they are, except for people that want to do
utilitarian hacking on demos or on the code itself.  Such people are
of course quite [wonderfully] mentally ill -- you know, overskilled
people violently afflicted with shrink wrap fever.

¹ E.g. shared libraries, 64 bit portability, function argument list
  register/stack layout, and Java runtime integration