parallel processing models

From: Steve Brophy
Subject: parallel processing models
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:09:40 -0400

Hello Swarm developers,

We are looking at an internal project to explore how hard it would be to use
a clustering technology like Beowulf or PVM to run large simulations using
parallel processing (currently building the models in swarm).

>From the previous messages on a multi-processor swarm, it sounds like a big
job for the swarm general case.  But that there were discussions and a plan
for what would be needed, even though implementation is not a priority now.

Our question:  is the plan defined to enough detail that it would give us a
place to start, and also might have some small enough pieces that we could
develop and contribute?  Or are we better off looking to examples of how
people have done model-specific parallization?

thanks, Steve

(Still planning to get that SDG membership, need to corral the right budget
person)

Steve Brophy     ERIM, Ann Arbor MI