more Swarm-java questions

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: more Swarm-java questions
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 00:10:16 -0600

I hope you java-using folks don't mind my effort to join your elite
company.

I started rewriting another app from objc to java and ran into a couple
of puzzles.  I'm getting good enough to make some really big mistakes:)

1. What do Java users do when they want to draw pixmaps on their
rasters? I don't see no stinking suppor t for that.  I notice that's not
in jheatbugs.  Come to think of it, jheatbugs also does not use do the
screenshot thing.  Is a Java user able to take Screenshots?

2. I have a space class I wrote, in which there is a Grid2d object.  (I
tried to create a subclass of Grid2d, but I got errors, so went this
other route). When the app runs, print output shows it gets through
creating objects, but then this happens:

***event raised for error: InvalidArgument
*** function: _i_Object_s__forward__(), file:
/home/pauljohn/LinuxDownloads/redhat/BUILD/swarm-2.1.19.20001128/src/defobj/DefObject.m,
line: 657
unable to find Java selector `getObjectAtX:Y:' in objc:`JavaProxy'
0x80d08c0 java: 0x820acfc hash: 18783
*** execution terminating due to error
/home/pauljohn/LinuxDownloads/redhat/BUILD/swarm-2.1.19.20001128/src/defobj/Symbol.m:173
-[Error(c) _raiseEvent:]
*** event raised for error: InvalidArgument
*** function: _i_Object_s__forward__(), file:
/home/pauljohn/LinuxDownloads/redhat/BUILD/swarm-2.1.19.20001128/src/defobj/DefObject.m,
line: 657
unable to find Java selector `getObjectAtX:Y:' in objc:`JavaProxy'
0x80d08c0 java: 0x820acfc hash: 18783
*** execution terminating due to error
/home/pauljohn/LinuxDownloads/redhat/BUILD/swarm-2.1.19.20001128/src/defobj/Symbol.m:173
-[Error(c) _raiseEvent:]

Back trace does not point at any lines in my code, I'm over my head.  If
it will help, I will give you the source code.  I've gone through and
commented out various things, same error always happens. So I've made
some pretty fundamental goof.

3. In the observer swarm level, we are accustomed to setting collections
in object2ddisplay objects.  It just hit me, however, that I'm using
Java collections everywhere, and the object2ddisplay's "setCollection"
method may be looking only for a Swarm collection.  It compiles, does
that mean Swarm's happy to receive a Java Collection?

MGD: The last RPMs I made were 11/28, and I need to rebuild to get the
new Arguments things.  Please let me know when you think there is a
"relatively more permanent" snapshot and I'll shuffle up RPMs for the
new year.