Memory problems.

From: Hoe Kok Meng
Subject: Memory problems.
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 13:40:30 +0800

Hi,
  I'm writing a variant of Lumer & Faieta's ant clustering
algorithm and have currently met with some memory problems.
Would appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thank you.

Below are some details:
---
I'm using the Swarm 2.1.1 Development Kit for Win9x. To reduce
overhead I'm using the batch Swarm without any GUI. Two
Discrete2d grids are created, one for the ants and the other for
the items. Items are vectors with 4 integers. So far, the
program runs fine with 10 ants on a 40 X 40 grid running for 1
million iterations. However, when I increase the number of ants
to 15, it crashes with the following error message:
                /src/Swarm/swarm/src/misc/xmalloc.c: 26 xmalloc

The crash normally occurs after 500K iterations. However, the
program with 15 ants runs fine if I reduce the number of
iterations to 400K. I suspect a memory leak as the memory
monitor I'm running shows rather rapid drop in free memory after
the first 400K or so iterations.

--
Best regards,

Hoe Kok Meng