Re: mySQL or HDF5

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: mySQL or HDF5
Date: 21 Jan 2002 03:09:08 -0700

SP> Please give me a comparison between MySQL database and HDF5 format?

HDF5 is oriented more toward high-performance access to very large
portable & compacted multidimensional datasets.  HDF5 is hierarchical,
and SQL is relational.  HDF5 lets you say complex things about the
size and shape of dataset, whereas SQL lets you combine relations to
find subsets of information.  HDF5 is suitable for goals like "get me
foo and frob it's boobah subspace", and SQL is suitable for goals like
"get me something that has this set of attributes".  See the HDF5 web
page for further information.  There are some HTMLified Powerpoint
presentations that might be helpful introductory material.