argument parsing library for C programs?

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: argument parsing library for C programs?
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:37:08 -0600

Dear C programmer folk:

I learnt command line argument parsing with Swarm, but now need to do a C program with no Swarm (for comparison purposes, one must walk on the dark side). So to parse command line arguments, would you recommend any command line argument parsing libraries for me? If there were one that worked on the same principles as Swarm, it would be most easy for me, of course.

I found one called popt that is a library that the RedHat folk have souped up to work with the rpm system. I'm thinking I might try that, since it is in all my systems already. It looks like an afternoon of manual reading and fiddling. I find that, if I ask first in here, I get advice that might lead me into another package.