Re: Swarm Compilation

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: Swarm Compilation
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 17:51:42 -0600

WHOA. Faq service, at your service:

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/SwarmOnlineFaq.html#3.11

Be careful about line breaks, since it appears the FaqManager has put some in and cut some out. I think it should look like:

3.11 How Can I Recompile Swarm? (18/07/2001 Paul Johnson <address@hidden>)

Updates may be available already on the SDG website (see above). If you need to modify the Swarm source for and rebuild under Windows, the procedure is essentially the same as it is in Unix. Assuming you can build it in Unix, there are no big problems awaiting.

If you don't want Java support, all you need is to download the existing swarm.exe file, install it, then grab the source for the new version of Swarm you want to build, untar that, and do the usual things to reinstall over your existing swarm. That is, without any frills,

$ ./configure --prefix=/Swarm-2.1.1 --without-jdkdir
$ make
$ make install

For Java users,

You can compile Swarm with Sun JDK like so:

#!/bin/sh
SWARMSRCDIR=/src/Swarm/swarm

jdk=--with-jdkdir=/cygdrive/i/jdk1.3.0_01

SWARMHOME=/Swarm-2.1.1 JAVAC=jikes EMACS=/cygdrive/e/emacs-20.6/bin/emacs $SWARMSRCDIR/configure --srcdir=$SWARMSRCDIR --prefix=$SWARMHOME --with-defaultdir=$SWARMHOME $jdk

make

make install

Marcus Daniels says,
FYI, here's the script I use to build against Borland JBuilder's JDK. The only subtlety is the use of a quoted $SWARMROOT for the prefix. Swarm expands this symbol at *runtime*. This is why the Windows InstallShield package is physically relocatable on the filesystem.

#!/bin/sh
SWARMSRCDIR=/src/Swarm/swarm jdk=--with-jdkdir=//H/JBuilder3/java

JAVAC=jikes EMACS=//G/emacs-20.4/bin/emacs $SWARMSRCDIR/configure --srcdir=$SWARMSRCDIR --prefix='${SWARMROOT}' --with-defaultdir=$SWARMROOT $jdk

make -j 2

Before you do this, you need to have swarm installed, because it supplies the tools needed to build. If you want to build Swarm against Kaffe, it should happen "automagically" if you leave off the -without-jdkdir from the configure line above.

If you want to recompie swarm with profiling, you add the complier flag -pg. In windows,this will only work if you install a couple of extra files:

mudgal wrote:
 Hi,

        I am using swarm-2.1.1 on windows-2000, I made some changes in
code but I need to compile it..could you please let me know as to how
should I do it?

        I heard that we can compile it using cygnus but where should I get
it from..and more over I was not able to compile it using cygwin...Could
you pleasse let me knowa s to how should I compile it???

 thanks,

Sandeep Mudgal
MSEE - Computer Networks
(323)732-8692