Re: Alternative

From: gepr
Subject: Re: Alternative
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 07:25:58 -0700

Raoul Jean Pierre Bonnal writes:
 > now are two weeks i'm working on swarm to make it runs on my
 > Debian/woody ibook, and i don't get no result.
 > Objective C should run but hdf5 no, java doesn't run ...
 >
 > Surfing on the net i have found StarLogo ( link by Pietro Terna), then
 > NetLogo  that is the newest version. In Starlogo FAQ i have found
 > RePast.
 > I have got it a it run with no problem, ok it's all java, not like
 > swarm. It semms to be like swarm.
 > If you know it, what are the main differences from swarm?
 > I think i 'll use it, swarm has stolen much time to me.

Hey Raoul,

RePast is another implementation of Swarm.  It isn't quite as
flexible as the SDG's implementation; but, for small models, or
for models where you want to take full advantage of the Java
APIs, it is a good choice.

I would still choose the SDG's implementation for simulations that
are more computationally expensive because it's easier to take
advantage of native efficiencies.  But for the most part, since
it was written to the same basic specs as the SDG's implementation,
and it works the same.

--
glen e. p. ropella              =><=                           Hail Eris!
H: 831.335.4950                              http://www.ropella.net/~gepr