Re: hdf5 problem

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: hdf5 problem
Date: 09 Aug 2002 20:38:50 -0700

[...]

>> We've got RPMs (for Red Hat) covered by Paul.

GR> I'm probably not competent to build Debian packages.  I recently
GR> had a pretty bad experience with Blackdown's Debian package for
GR> Java.  And if they can screw it up, then I'm sure I will.  If I
GR> did it at all, I'd prefer to do it through Debian.... i.e.
GR> volunteer as the maintainer and go through the hoops they've set
GR> up.  That should ensure that it comfortably co-exists with the
GR> other packages.

We do have the scripts for the existing Debian package (as well as
build scripts for Solaris packages) in the SFI cvs repository, I will
transfer them to Savannah real soon now.

While we're at it, we could convince Paul J. to check in his .spec
files for his RPM packages into CVS and have a central place for all
the packaging stuff...

GR> So, no, I'm not voluteering, yet.

OK, fair enough. ;-)  Having a `contrib' package for Debian would be
cool.  Even cooler if it could be in the official distro, since there
would be people who could help port it to the PPC.

[...]

GR> You don't have to compile swarm.  Just check out the source and
GR> apply the patch, then read the patched parts with an extremely
GR> critical eye.  If you don't come back at me with 1 or 2 scathing
GR> comments about things I should change, then you know your eye
GR> wasn't critical enough.

I will have a closer look hopefully sometime this weekend.

A.
--
  Alex Lancaster           |
  Swarm Development Group  |     web: http://www.swarm.org