Re: swarm-2002-05-14 compilation error

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: swarm-2002-05-14 compilation error
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:22:00 -0500

Comedy: to uninstall swarm, remove the directory into which you installed it! If you are building and installing for a single system, make configure line have --prefix=/home/blah/blah/swarm

so you can tell where all the swarm stuff is and eliminate it.

If you don't do that, then you are on your own when uninstall time comes.

That's why I use rpms, because they are easy to uninstall. If you build 2.1.1 and installed into /usr or something, then you have a mess because your files are scattered all around, especially if your configure line did not have "enable-subdirs" or such.

Now, I see you are using gcc-3.2 and I don't have a Marcus-style patch for that to make Swarm compile. As far as I know, no Swarmer has announced any workability with 3.2. I still use the patched version of 3.0.4.

You could do a useful service for me and the Hive in general if you would hack one part of the swarm source and then compile/install swarm, and then let me know if it works.

It could be gcc-3.2 introduces new problems we have not heard of. But I know of at least one thing that will for-sure not work if you have gcc "off the shelf."

The part you need to hack is this one line in Swarm's file interface.el. You need to insert the semicolon before the line (load-dispatch-hash-table protocol phase ht).

That line is in there now because it takes advantage of some special optimization that Marcus Daniels did for gcc-objc, but if you are using the garden variety gcc, it can't handle that optimization in Swarm, and so it could cause an error.

This change is equivalient to reversing this patch:

*** interface.el-original       Sun Jul  8 19:22:33 2001
--- interface.el        Sun Jul  8 19:22:56 2001
***************
*** 625,631 ****

  (defun create-dispatch-hash-table (protocol phase)
    (let ((ht (make-hash-table)))
!     ;(load-dispatch-hash-table protocol phase ht)
      ht))

  (defun c-objc-type (type)
--- 625,631 ----

  (defun create-dispatch-hash-table (protocol phase)
    (let ((ht (make-hash-table)))
!     (load-dispatch-hash-table protocol phase ht)
      ht))

  (defun c-objc-type (type)

Jan Peters wrote:
Hello, I am just installing snapshot swarm-2002-05-14, with gcc3.2 (j2sdk1.4.0.1) on slackware Linux 8.1, I also recompiled the additional packages like BLT2.4y etc. with gcc3.2. I am getting this compilation error while compiling the snapshot:

cc1obj: warnings being treated as errors
Customize.m: In function `+[Customize(s) _customizeBegin:]':
Customize.m:106: warning: cannot find class (factory) method
Customize.m:106: warning: return type for `createBegin:' defaults to id
make[4]: *** [Customize.lo] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/swarm/swarm-2002-05-14/src/defobj'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/swarm/swarm-2002-05-14/src/defobj'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/swarm/swarm-2002-05-14/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/swarm/swarm-2002-05-14'
make: *** [all] Error 2
address@hidden swarm-2002-05-14>

Is it a problem if I do not uninstall swarm2.1.1? I guess so, but how do I do it? I searched the archives and did only find an uninstall description for Windows (thanks to Paul Johnson). Or is this error message something else telling? Maybe I have to recompile the glib, too, I heard that somewhere about Slackware 8.1...
Any help appreciated

Thanks

Jan

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504