[Swarm-Support] Re: Progress - one more question

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Re: Progress - one more question
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 08:45:11 +1100

> OK - one more question....

> It appears to be problem #2....I did install the Apple computer
> gcc-3.3
> from the Savannah site, but cc -v reports 3.1.

> I don't have a man page for gcc_select, how do I use it to make 3.3
> the current version of gcc? "gcc_select -h" tells me how to select
> either
> 2 or 3, but not 3.3.....??? I could physically change the name of
> gcc-3.3

If you are using Jaguar (10.2.x) you must have the August 2003 Developer
tools update.  This updates parts of cctools without which the 3.3
compiler will not work.  It also has an updated gcc_select which can take
three sorts of options:
sudo gcc_select 2      (for gcc 2.95)
sudo gcc_select 3      (for gcc 3.1)
sudo gcc_select 3.x    (for gcc-3.x)

As you can see the script just sets up symlinks that only take a minute or
so to do manually.

As extra info, my patched compiler is reports as gcc-1496.  The release
Panther compiler is gcc-1495.  I think the one from the August uppdate is
gcc-1481.

I will build a new patched compiler on Panther using the latest Apple cvs
sources as soon as I the computer sorted.  (Do not try to run the Panther
upgrade on a machine with software problems - it does not fix them - they
get worse:-(  )

Bill Northcott