Re: [Swarm-Support] Installing swarm on Suse 8.2

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Installing swarm on Suse 8.2
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 00:29:28 -0600

If cvs is too slow (I don't have trouble with it), you could try a snapshot from this directory:

ftp://ftp.santafe.edu/pub/swarm/src/testing

I've heard from Suse users over the years and they do say that distribution has some problems that require work arounds. In the Swarm faq at one time I had some Suse related advice put together by Nigel Gilbert, but that's a couple of years ago. I assume you have tried to follow along with the advice in the faq already?

The mac guys say Swarm does build against 8.4, so I'd suggest you take whatever steps you think are right to build Swarm, and then report here EXACTLY WHAT YOU DID AND EXACTLY WHAT GOES WRONG and then we can try to help you.

Worst case scenario is that you need to fiddle the configure line so it can find tcl/tk. That's no big deal.

Caution: please use the separate build directory, and erase it when you start with a new configure line. The effect of the old configure is not forgotten unless you do that or do a "make distclean" in the build directory.

Carlo C. Maley wrote:

Has anyone managed to install swarm on Suse?  We are using Suse 8.2.

We are having trouble with the tcl/tk libraries (Suse uses the 8.4 libraries not the 8.0 libraries and compilation of the stable source fails to find the newer tcl/tk). We have also had trouble with the ftp sessions timing out at Savannah when we try to get a directory listing of the development snapshot.

thanks, Carlo