Re: [Swarm-Support] Debian packages for Swarm 2.2.5

From: Masayuki Hatta
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Debian packages for Swarm 2.2.5
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 23:00:42 +0900

Hi,

At Tue, 21 Oct 2008 13:07:59 -0500,
Paul Johnson wrote:

> When Jakson Aquino made his debian packages, he was concerned about
> the location of installed files.  He thought the Debian policy would
> require relocation of stuff from /usr/etc/swarm to /usr/share/swarm.
> I've been reviewing your diff and I can't tell if you have
> considered that problem.

Yes, I needed to move things into non-standard directories in
compliance with the Debian Policy.

Most notably, the shared libraries are in /usr/lib instead of
/usr/lib/swarm, *.jar are in /usr/share/java instead of
/usr/share/swarm, and Makefile.* are in /etc/swarm instead of
/usr/etc/swarm or /usr/share/swarm/etc/swarm.  I think these are sane
choices.  Also, I removed RPATH from libraries (RPATH is considered
harmful in the Debian world).

However I took great care not to break the existing Swarm models.
Basically, all you'll have to do is changing the path to Makefile.appl
in your Makefiles.

from:

include $(SWARMHOME)/etc/swarm/Makefile.appl

to:

include /etc/swarm/Makefile.appl

And they should work out of the box.

For Java models, I tweaked java(c)swarm a bit, so they should work as
expected.  Of course you run it by hand, like "java -classpath
.:/usr/share/java/swarm.jar".

> I was very glad to see that you have not made a bunch of changes to
> the Swarm source code itself.  That's one of the big problems I have
> against debian packaging.  packagers are allowed/tempted to make
> changes in the package itself to fit their packaging requirements.
> (Again, just reflecting my RedHat training, I think, and I'm very
> glad you have packaged that stuff so I don't have to learn the
> Debian patch thing).

Well, sometimes it's needed.  Luckily, this time I didn't have to
change anything.

Best regards,
MH

--