Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm Status

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm Status
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 07:08:31 -0700

Rob Britton wrote:
Hey Everyone,

I'm wondering, is Swarm still actively worked on? I noticed that a new
version hasn't been released in 5 years!

Hello-

The positive way to look at this is that Swarm is quite stable. Actually it never was the intent of Swarm (as I understand) to keep growing and adding stuff. Instead, our focus with our limited resources has been to keep it working as various new operating systems, compilers, etc. come out.

There has been one long-term effort by Scott Christley to integrate Swarm with new MacIntosh operating systems. That would be the only change that adds significant new capabilities.

And currently we are working on a new way to access Swarm: a Linux operating system image with Swarm installed, for use in VirtualBox, software that allows you to run the Linux image inside other operating systems such as Windows. And this image will include the ability to produce Windows executables of Swarm programs, via the MinGW compiler. A 32-bit version is now ready to test, but a 64-bit version is proving more of a challenge. Marcus Daniels is doing the work.

Steve Railsback