[Swarm-Support] Swarm packages uploaded, Ubuntu, Fedora, Centos

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Swarm packages uploaded, Ubuntu, Fedora, Centos
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 16:58:16 -0500

Hi, everybody

I just finished installing Fedora 13 i386 and x86_64 so I could build Swarm RPMs. I uploaded the rpm files, you can get to the right spot from here

http://pj.freefaculty.org/Swarm/Swarm-Packages

or

http://pj.freefaculty.org/Fedora

navigate down to version/arch/kups/packages, as in:

http://pj.freefaculty.org/Swarm/Swarm-Packages/Fedora/13/x86_64/kups/packages

(replace x86_64 for i386. duh.)

I try to remember to sign these things, if your system asks, you might as well comply by using my package signing key. Here's the public thing:

http://pj.freefaculty.org/Ubuntu/PaulJohnson-BinaryPackageSigningKey

For swarm-java, I just used the java-1.6.0-openjdk offering that Fedora
includes already.  So you should have that too.

I took some "artistic license" with Swarm version numbering. The ones with version 2.3 are the last official VERSION that was announced, the SVN snapshots I used for the 64 bit packages recently are versioned at 2.4. That's just sanity preservation for me. The swarm source code still has VERSION file still says 2.3, but I needed new number for the packaging.

Also I built deb packages for Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) 64bit. This required the SVN Swarm version. There's a link either in my Swarm folder or in

http://pj.freefaculty.org/Ubuntu

The **KEY** thing for Ubuntu is that users must replace their existing blt with the one I offer, because that incorporates the fixes that the Fedora guys figured out are required to make blt work with tcl/tk 8.5. If you don't get the new blt, then your Swarm models will crash as soon as they try to update a raster.

Look here:

http://pj.freefaculty.org/Ubuntu/10.04/amd64/blt/

and here:

http://pj.freefaculty.org/Ubuntu/10.04/amd64/swarm/

If you want to use Ubuntu java swarm, you should install the java-1.6.0-sun
packages from Ubuntu.

I didn't build any i386 packages for Ubuntu, mainly because I don't have any
i386 anymore.

No, i did not configure this as an apt repository, that's too frustrating on a public server (Dreamhost has nice service, but not a panoply of developer tools available). If figure if you are good enough to write a Swarm model, you are smart enough to download a deb package and use dpkg to install it.

I've also got Swarm running on a 64 bit Rocks Linux cluster.

http://pj.freefaculty.org/Centos/5/x86_64/RPMS/kurocks-x86_64/

It appears to me I did not build swarm-jdk on there, but I do have swarm-2.3.0 there, and now that the jdk wrinkles are worked out in the Swarm SVN, I will probably upgrade soonish. if you want/need that soon, send me a private email.

And, finally, no, I cannot explain why the directory structure i use for the Rocks Cluster is different from the directory structure I use on the Fedora systems and why those are different still from Ubuntu. Its just my artistic personality bleeding through.

Professor, Political Science          http://pj.freefaculty.org
Assoc. Director, Center for Research Methods and Data Analysis
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504