swarm-swarmfest2007

[Swarmfest2007] Fwd: Submission for SwarmFest

From: Paulo Urbano
Subject: [Swarmfest2007] Fwd: Submission for SwarmFest
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 07:17:32 +0100

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Paulo Urbano <address@hidden>
Date: Jun 2, 2007 6:44 AM
Subject: Submission for SwarmFest
To: address@hidden

I woul like to submit for SwarmFest 2007 this (preferred oral) presentation:

Abstract: We will present work made in the area of Artificial Art, specifically in the area of Swarm Art and which is implemented in Netlogo. Our goal is to look for innovative patterns and forms using techniques based on Swarm Intelligence. We will describe a progression in the construction of decentralized micro-painters groups with different mechanisms and levels of coordination. We explore artificial collective artistic work inspired by natural phenomena, namely the use of pheromone substances for mass recruitment in ants. Our goal is to look for innovative patterns using techniques derived from Artificial Life. We will begin to describe the Colombines model. The Colombines are a society of anonymous, with local perception and homogeneous artificial micro-painters. In the Colombines model the virtual canvas, besides being a computational space for depositing paint, is also a pheromone medium, mirroring the painting patterns and influencing the painters' behaviour. The micro-painters do not exchange information directly with each other, they are simply attracted towards non-painting areas of the canvas—the non-painted "tableaux" patches diffuse an "environmental produced" chemical and the painters prefer to follow the chemical gradient. Thus, this form of stigmergic communication simply influences the artistic agents movements and the unexpected and surprising resulting patterns. We will play some variations on the Colombines model. First we will reverse the "tableaux" patches behaviour and generate patterns that result from painters attracted to painted spots (the Anti-Colombines). Then we will introduce mimetism. We will expand the Colombines basic model adding direct communication between the micro-artists: they will imitate the colour of others. In the first variation, they will imitate the colour of who ever they interact with and in the second one they will have a force attribute and colour imitation will depend on the force relationship between them. See http://www.di.fc.ul.pt/~pub/Evo07 for Colombines patterns and to create paintings with Netlogo applet.

Name: Paulo Urbano

Filliation: Departamento de Informática
Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa

Adress:
Departamento de Informática
Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa
Edifício C6
Campo Grande
1749-016 Lisboa
Portugal