Re: [Swftools-common] Video codec

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Video codec
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 09:50:59 +0200

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 09:11:31PM -0700, Leonard Holman wrote:
> I was wondering if there was a way to extract the
> video data from a swf file so that it can be converted
> back into an avi or a mpeg video.  I can extract each
> frame of the video packet data, but I have no
> knowledge on coverting the data into anything useful.

It's possible, but does requires quite some hacking.
In priciple, the code to decode the h.263 packets is
in lib/h.263/video.c.
It only "disassembles" the data, though, it doesn't yet
convert it back to images. The motion vectors need to
be followed, and the IDCT done backwards. This is actually
all done in lib/h.263/swfvideo.c, for calculating
VIDEOSTREAM.oldpic- what needs to be done is to plug the
corresponding routines together.

But what do you need this for? The video data in SWFs is rarely
of good enough quality to be useful for anything else.

Greetings

Matthias