Re: [Swftools-common] Patch for pdf2swf (CID codemap file options)

From: Moriyoshi Koizumi
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Patch for pdf2swf (CID codemap file options)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 04:09:46 +0900

On 2004/10/19, at 18:58, Matthias Kramm wrote:

BTW, does pdf2swf really attempt to read /etc/xpdfrc ? It seems not..

You're right- the code in GlobalParams.cc only looks for ~/.xpdfrc
and .xpdfrc, not /etc/xpdfrc.
Maybe this should even be removed, to prevent side effects from
xpdf confiration "leaking" into pdf2swf.

I think it should be removed, too.

Anyway, while I think that internationalization of pdf2swf is
important, I'm somewhat reluctant to introduce four command-line
parameters for one single feature.

Actually I'm not willing to type somewhat enigmatic parameter sequence
every time. It was just a kind of workaround, because I didn't think
it was a good idea to drastically change the codes related to one feature
in a mere tiny patch, XPDF part in particular as heavy-alteration of
an embedded package might often cause synchronisation problem in the
future.

I think we should either add a "--languagepack" parameter, which
specifies the location of one of the xpdf language packs, or
even autodetect the language packs, assuming that they were
always extracted into (the local equivalent of) /usr/local/share/swftools/
.

The situation is a bit more complicated; a PDF isn't always written in a
single language and we can't tell which language it is written :)

Would that be possible in your case, or did you "finetune" either the
language packs or the different command-line parameter settings in
a way not reproduceable by either the "--languagepack" or auto-detection
approach?

A feasible way is rewrite the GlobalParams.cc to search for an
individual parameter file in each NLS directory, which may be put in
/usr/local/share/swftools/encodings or whatever. This way the necessary
files would be automatically collected at runtime and then all users have to do when they want to use misc. languages should be to extract the archive
in that directory.

What do you think of this?

Regards,
Moriyoshi