Re: [Swftools-common] PDF2SWF and getTextSnapShot() (sent to wrong addre

From: Pete Siviter
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] PDF2SWF and getTextSnapShot() (sent to wrong address - apologies)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 08:43:48 +0000

Hi Mark,

I am probably walking a similar road to you at the moment and, although I haven't done it yet, my next planned step was to use the swfstrings program  to fill a MySQL database with words tied to the specific swf files.

I am using a php script to convert my thousands of pdfs to swfs so it is an easy step to catch the output from swfstrings on the converted pages and put it in a database.

After this you can query the mysql database to locate swf files with specific words and therefore know what page to go to.

This works for me because every page is a separate swf file with the page number in it's name.  You could produce a database from a split pdf file converted using  a splitting utility (like gios splitter), convert those to swf files (via qpdf2swf) and then use swfstrings...  If that works for you...

There's probably a way of doing it directly from the pdf though.

That gets you to a particular page.  As far as highlighting the specific search words on the page?  No idea at this stage.

Cheers,
Pete

Mark A. Lowe wrote:

Hey guys,

Just starting to use PDF2SWF for my e-mag system and it’s working great.

I’m still learning it and the answer may be obvious, but where would I find some documentation/examples on how to search the text once I have loaded my (pdf2swf) .swf file into my Flash application?

Is all the text put in a specified textfield, or is it broken up into multiple fields?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated,

Mark.

mark lowe
senior multimedia developer

multimedia resource australia

t:

+61 3 9602 4750

f:

+61 3 9606 0408

e:

address@hidden

w:

www.mmr.com.au

level 2, 351 elizabeth st, melbourne vic 3000  [ courier correspondence ]

p.o. box 205, fitzroy vic 3065 [ all other correspondence ]

This message has been scanned by MailController.