[Swftools-common] Creating a "streaming" swf from large PDF

From: Evan LeCompte
Subject: [Swftools-common] Creating a "streaming" swf from large PDF
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 18:31:04 -0400

Good evening,

I have some rather large PDF files (20-100MB), and I'd like to display
them on the web in a way like scribd or isuu.

For example I ran this to convert a 24MB pdf:

`pdf2swf -B rfxview.swf input.pdf -o output.swf'

The resulting swf file was 6.4MB (which is a substantial savings).
However, when this swf is embedded into an HTML page,  users are
forced to wait until the entire swf is loaded before they can begin
browsing the document.
Even a 6.4MB swf can take several minutes to fully load over the web,
which is not ideal.

Is there any way to "stream" the swf into the viewer so that it
becomes interactive before the swf is fully loaded?

My other solution was to make multiple chunks (every 50 pages or so)
and load those in some way, but it would be less of a headache if I
only had to deal with one swf file.

Thanks very much for any advice.

Evan LeCompte