Re: [Swftools-common] bug embedding video SWF?

From: Pablo Rodríguez
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] bug embedding video SWF?
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 19:43:00 +0200

On 10/27/2010 11:57 AM, Chris wrote:
On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 21:10:56 +0200
Pablo Rodríguez<address@hidden>  wrote:

Hi there,

Matthias kindly posted in this list an example on how to embed an SWF
video into another SWF (thread starting from
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/swftools-common/2008-11/msg00148.html),
I have used this method to embed two movies at the presentation at
http://www.ousia.tk/freeculture.php.

Then you know the method works.

Many thanks for your help, Chris.

I know that the method worked fine, at least with a previous version and not having sound any of the couple of movies.

But I wouldn't discard a bug in embedding SWF video.

But with the following movie with sound
(http://www.ousia.tk/thisland.swf), compiling the code above, the output
doesn't play (http://www.ousia.tk/this-land.swf).

Then there has to be something wrong with this swf. Corrupt in some way.
I played it back in a browser, it doesn't appear to work properly.

Do you think video is corrupt because it isn't played properly or do you have another reason?

Having a container (http://www.ousia.tk/container.swf) and putting it on
page 2 doesn't help either (http://www.ousia.tk/embedded.swf).

Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug here?

If the embedded swf is corrupt, wrapping it in a container will
not help it be uncorrupted!

I agree.

But even replacing page 2 from container with the original presentation (http://www.ousia.tk/thisland.swf) doesn't play the video on page 2 (http://www.ousia.tk/direct-embedding.swf).

It seems as if I had hit a bug. Or two, I'm not sure.

Could any swftools developer check this?

IncidentallY..

Shouldn't,

        .swf movie "thisland.swf"

actually be,

        .swf movie "this-land.swf"

Having,

        .flash filename="this-land.swf"

will wipe out your original swf file, since they both have the
*same* file name.

Sorry, I'm afraid I don't get it.

.swf movie should have a different value than .flash filename, because the former is the source file and the latter is the output file. (Names are very similar, I agree, but they aren't the same name.)

Having the same name for both would only delete the source file.

Or am I missing something here?

Thanks for your help,

Pablo

--