[Swftools-common] Undefined symbols _PrintGifError when building swftool

From: Simon Groenewolt
Subject: [Swftools-common] Undefined symbols _PrintGifError when building swftools using macports
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 17:57:19 +0200

hi,

This is my first post on the list. I've been a user of swftools for
various little tasks, mostly inspecting swf to investigate weird
flash-issues, but also for converting pdfs to swfs to make them
loadable in flash. Thanks for the great piece of software.

Of course there is a problem... and I didn't see others mentioning
this so here's my post:

When installing (building) swftools using macports I get an error on
my machine - the build was working just fine as far as I know.

Error:
:info:build /usr/bin/clang -DHAVE_CONFIG_H gif2swf.o -o gif2swf
../lib/librfxswf.a ../lib/libbase.a -L/opt/local/lib -arch x86_64
-L/usr/local/lib -L/opt/local/lib -lmp3lame -lgif -ljpeg -lpdf -lz -lm
 -L/opt/local/lib -lfreetype -lz -lbz2
:info:build Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
:info:build   "_PrintGifError", referenced from:
:info:build       _MovieAddFrame in gif2swf.o
:info:build       _CheckInputFile in gif2swf.o
:info:build ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64

I've filed a bug with macports https://trac.macports.org/ticket/34553
but this is not macport-specific it seems. Quote: "this is related to
giflib having been updated to 4.2.0 and the PrintGifError symbol
having been removed from giflib in that version"

Following a link for a linked bugreport I find on
http://giflib.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=giflib/giflib;a=blob;f=NEWS
that they added functions GifError() and GifErrorString() and probably
removed _PrintGifError in the process?

What would be the way to get this working again in macports? I did a
git clone and tried to see if I can easily build swftools from scratch
but that did not work out of the box -- I don't mind putting some
effort in trying to reproduce the macports issue with a 'clean' git
checkout but maybe someone else already found this issue and has a fix
ready?

Cheers,

  Simon